Yeast infections are very common and affect a number of people. Candida is the most common type of infection which comes from the species Candida albicans. This yeast lives in our body in small amounts. When it exceeds that amount, it causes an infection called Candidiasis.
Genital or Vaginal Candidiasis affects a lot of women. Diabetes, rise in estrogen levels during pregnancy, compromised immune system, and antibiotics are the most common reasons for Vaginal Candidiasis. Symptoms include a sensation of burning while urinating, itching, redness, swelling, pain, and thick, cottage cheese-like discharge.
There are certain foods that women eat in order to treat Candidiasis. Added sugars and simple carbohydrates are some foods that women avoid as it can incite Candida. Maintaining certain diets that consist of having anti-inflammatory foods and healthy fats can also prevent and treat yeast infections like Candidiasis. Experts say that, following a good diet plan is the right candida cure.
Diet plan for the treatment of yeast infections in women
Foods to eat
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil contains a high amount of caprylic and lauric acid. They have antifungal and antimicrobial properties, which work well against yeast infections of Candidiasis. They also resist the overgrowth of Candida.
- Non-starchy Leafy vegetables: Leafy vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts, zucchini, and tomatoes are responsible for building up our immune system. This helps to stop the growth of Candidiasis by making it weak. They are also effective in regulating the level of blood sugar in our body. Limiting the blood sugar level will reduce the environment suitable for the growth of Candida.
- Proteins and healthy fats: Eggs, meat, and beans provide the protein requirement in our body. These proteins act as a healthy source of calories and cut down the intake of sugar. Healthy fats like foods rich in omega-3, walnuts, fish, and vegetable oil help in controlling blood sugar to treat Candidiasis.
- Probiotics: Probiotics are good bacteria present in the digestive system in our body. They help in activating the immune system to fight off yeasts like Candida albicans, which are pathogenic. Consumption of yogurt, lactobacillus supplements, and fermented foods like kimchi and kombucha are beneficial in promoting the growth of good bacteria. They are also important for fighting against bad bacteria, and to treat Candidiasis.
- Garlic: Garlic contains allicin, which has antifungal properties. They fight against cells of yeast and resist their growth. They also boost immunity and regulate the level of blood sugar.
- Low sugar foods: Having moderate sugar through foods such as berries, olives, and citrus fruits can maintain the level of blood sugar. This will also ensure that there is not a spike in the growth of Candida. Avoid added sugar and replace them with sweeteners like xylitol and stevia, which have low carbohydrates. Xylitol also has antimicrobial properties, which help to treat Candidiasis.
- Turmeric: Turmeric contains curcumin, which is one of its principal components. It has antifungal properties that reduce and terminates Candida growth.
Foods to avoid
- Alcohol: We must avoid drinking alcohol like champagne, hard ciders, and beers during a Candida infection. This is because their preparation involves yeast. This may cause the yeast infection to become worse. It may also cause a rise in blood sugar.
- Foods made with sugar: Foods that contain simple and added sugar like candy and ice cream will affect the level of blood sugar in our body. This might promote the growth of Candidiasis.
- Dairy products: Dairy products like cheese and milk, which contain lactose, can lower the level of pH in the digestive tract. This can incite yeast infections in women.
- Carbohydrates: We must avoid carbohydrates like rice and flour. When they break down during digestion, blood sugar rises. Cutting them off your diet helps to prevent Candida infection.
Candida affects almost seventy-five percent of women. In order to treat and prevent yeast infections, we must follow a strict diet with low sugar.